Data ScientistOur client is a leading media company based in central London they are looking to hire a data scientist to join their growing global...
Applied Data Scientist - Venture Capital Firm
My client is a leading venture capital firm that partners with exceptional founders with unique insights, from inception through all phases of private company growth. Their European team are based in central London.
We are now looking to hire a full-time Applied Data Scientist. This role is an instrumental part of my clients identification of interesting investment opportunities and will work as a bridge between the investment team and the developer team.
The purpose is to mine different public data sources for signals that can help us unearth interesting companies at the right point in time. This person's role will be to gather the information (eg, building screen scrapers, accessing an API, etc), structure the data in Excel (an output template will be provided), and work with the investment team to interpret patterns and trends from the data which in turn will impact the approach to information gathering.
The person will also work with the developer team to enhance the workflows and automation of data extraction. We're looking for someone who is analytical and a creative problem solver.
Importantly we are looking for someone who enjoys quick iterations / 'hacking' together results and who can pro-actively think about relevant APIs from different applications rather than someone that is used to be given a large data set to be processed.
- Real interest in data analytics
- Excellent programming and computer software skills: scripting languages (eg, Python), querying languages (eg, SQL), spreadsheets (Excel) and statistical language (eg, R) - not learned on the job but at school
- Graduated with a 2.1 or higher most likely in the fields of mathematics, computer sciences or statistics (maths and statistics preferred)
- Gained project-based experience since leaving university
- A curious mind is key and a deep interest in technology
- An ability to work in a fast-pace, structured but quite entrepreneurial environment where things can change quite rapidly is critical
- Good listening and communication skills are also important
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnerships, pregnancy or maternity or age.